Wednesday, October 15, 2008

And Who Exactly is My Neighbor?

Luke 10.25-29

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus, “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

“What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

He answered, “'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and will all your strength and with all you mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”

“You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”


“Who is my neighbor?” I’ve spent a lot of time trying to answer that question, and I pride myself on the fact that my definition is broader than most. I’ve really embraced the idea of a global neighbor—that because of a global economy everything I consume affects some other person positively or negatively. So I don’t shop at Wal-mart, buy most things used, don’t eat meat, sponsor a child, lobby for fair governmental practices and increased giving, and generally attempt to live as simply as I can.

But then, Jesus re-enters the conversation: A man gets mugged traveling from Jerusalem to Jericho. A really godly guy, a really smart guy and an average guy who nobody thinks a whole lot of pass by, but the average guy is the only one to stop and help. And Jesus asks which of the three was neighborly? The expert in the law answers correctly, “the one who had mercy on him” (v30-37).

But did you notice that Jesus didn’t answer the man’s question: “Who is my neighbor?” You see, the man had asked the wrong question. The question is not “who is my neighbor?” the question is “what kind of neighbor am I?” The Good Samaritan was a merciful neighbor, and Jesus put him forward as a great example to follow.

Being a good neighbor is not influenced by who your neighbor is or isn’t. Being a good neighbor is being willing to go the extra mile, turn the other cheek, show mercy, offer forgiveness, suffer persecution, take a little less so some one else can have a little more. Being a good neighbor is about learning to live like Jesus lived and to love like Jesus loved. Bottom line? Loving your neighbor as yourself is ultimately about you and the kind of neighbor you choose to be.

3 comments:

James T Wood said...

Yes, but . . .

I don't think we give enough weight to Jesus words if we cast the Samaritan as an 'average guy'. The Samaritan is scum. He's the lowest possible rung of society (without being a slave or a woman). I can think of the outcast in Jesus time, and even a few decades ago, but who is outcast today? Jesus calls forth the image of a person that we would rather not stop to help, thank you very much. Think about laying on the side of the road with people walking by and the one person who moves to help you is _____ and you want them to just go away; you would rather die than accept help from _____.

What fills your blank? I admit I'm a little scared to look at that part of me.

Unknown said...

Completely agree with you, James. I knew when I wrote it that my characterization of the Samaritan's position in the story was far more than gracious. But I didn't want to detract from the point of not "who is my neighbor" but "what kind of neighbor am I?" I don't know maybe it adds to the point. I'm not sure.

James T Wood said...

I see, I see.

I think that it can add to the point, because then we are forced to ask ourselves: Will I have mercy on the person who despises me? When I am the blank for someone, can I still love them as my neighbor?

Ouch, that's a tough one to apply.