Tuesday, October 14, 2008

New Mexico Woman Falls in Well

"10Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."

11"Sir," the woman said, "you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? 12Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his flocks and herds?"


13Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."
John 4

If a woman’s concept of God determines the depth of her prayer life, then it’s important for me to ‘Know the Gift of God.’ Like the Woman at the Well, I, don’t realize that I’m thirsty. I think that I am satisfied and have everything I need – AND - I know where the well is when I need to draw more. I don’t realize that I am thirsty, what’s more, that I’m thirsty for Christ. I keep drawing and drinking from the well of earthly possessions, needs, and desires. It barely wets my whistle and merely curbs my thirst.

And, just like the Woman at the Well, I am never truly satisfied. I desire a deeper relationship with Christ. I desire a deeper prayer life. For this to happen, I must first recognize that I AM THIRSTY…….for Jesus. I need the Living Water more than I need my next breath! So, I’m praying for a parched throat, one that aches for, and can only be quenched by the Living Water that is Christ.

1 comment:

Crowm said...

Great stuff Cheryl! Check out Jer 29:13. May we all be thirsty for the right "thing".

BTW, where do you find a bird like that in the Land of Enchantment? :)
Surely not in SE N.M.

Blessings,
Mike